29 december 2014

4 months, where are you?

Hello Everyone!

This is my first blog in English! Since I came to Japan, I always doubted whether to write it in Dutch or English. If I write it in Dutch, a lot of friends can't read it. But when I write it in English, not everyone in my family can read it. So it's always a dilemma. So far I wrote every post I made in Japan in Dutch, but I'm about to change it. If I have time, I really want to do it in Dutch and English, like my blog posts before I came to Japan. Yet, I spend like 5 hours on writing a blog, so if I would translate it, it would take me another few hours! Besides, Dutch is becoming way too difficult, haha! It's still quite a hard time, switching between Dutch, English and Japanese all the time. Sometimes I don't even know in which language I'm actually thinking. However, Dutch is becoming my 3rd language here in Japan. Just pretend, no one here speaks Dutch. So how can I even use it during the day? Not at all, haha!

It's been nearly 2 months since my last blogpost. Or better say, a little more than 1.5 month. It's a shame, isn't it? haha! The first few weeks after my last blogpost, there wasn't really something to write about. I just went to school every day, came home, did homework, washed the bathroom, took a bath and slept. Just the daily rhythm let's say. Then, it was time for my school trip. And since then, it has actually been really busy! Especially the last few weeks, and even now. It's really hard to find time to write. Until yesterday, I had taken about 700 pictures, which I had to go through to make a selection of a more reasonable amount. So I brought it back to 450... Yes, still a lot!

So I guess I will start with the school trip to Okinawa!

After I'd been looking forward to it for such a long time, it was finally time to go! On a very early Thursday morning, I went to the station. It was already getting colder here in Aichi, but the weather in Okinawa was really warm, as it is in the very south of Japan. So, without wearing a jacket, I got on the bike at like 6:30, really cold. I stopped by at the convenience store to get some breakfast and lunch and then went to the station. I met my friends with who I entered the train. About 35 minutes later, we arrived at the airport. There, everyone gathered before going through the borders. Luckily our suitcases had already been brought to Okinawa two days before, so we could skip that troublesome process. It was actually kind of a new feeling. I am on exchange in Japan, and I am going on a trip, by airplane, and then come back to my house here. When we entered the plane I was quite surprised, because it looked like a private jet. Of course it was a normal airplane, but about 98% of the passengers consisted of... our high school! And because our group is so big, we had to fly with two airplanes to get everyone over to Okinawa. Very interesting idea, haha.
When we arrived in Okinawa, it was time to get to the busses. Every class had their own bus, including a guide. Our guide was really great, because she sometimes sang Okinawan songs for us while we were looking to the views (or sleeping of course :p). In the bus, we could also eat our lunch. We were driving to the peace memorial park, a park with monuments that reminds us of the war that has taken place there. We first went into a big room, which had the feeling of a college room. There was a women on the stage, telling about what had happened in Okinawa. Without being superfluously, the talk took around 3 hours. Of course it was all in Japanese, so I didn't get what was said. Some people were listening all the time, but a lot were sleeping as well (^^).
When this part was finished, we had some time to walk around the park. There were some places with a pretty view over the sea, so we enjoyed the little time before getting back to the busses. The next activity was souvenir shopping! We drove to a lovely shopping street with plenty of souvenir shops. There even was one that had a poster in the front, with our school name on it. Very smart people, if you ask me, haha. If you would spend an x-amount of money, you would get a shopping bag for free, something like that. Walking through the streets while it was already a bit dark was very nice. And of course I got another Matcha Frappuccino at Starbucks, my absolutely #1 drink here in Japan :p.
Then, it was time for dinner. We got back to the busses, where generally everyone comes in time, of course, and went to the next place. It was a big room in Okinawan style (it's not really Japanese, it's not really Chinese... just Okinawan I guess). While we were eating, class by class, and of course boys and girls a little separated, we enjoyed listening to a two-man band, who were playing Okinawan folk songs, of which we had heard some already in the bus. This was the last activity for the day, because afterwards the busses brought us to the hotel. And gosh... what a great place for a hotel! The hotel had a private beach in front of it. We couldn't enter it on the same night, but we could see it from the balconies of our room! The boys of our class were divided into two different rooms, which however were next to each other. The room had two beds, and a tatami area with futons on it. Of course I wanted to sleep in the futon on the tatami ^^. We could choose whether to join the big public bath, or to take a shower in our own bathroom. Actually both are kind of OK for me by now, but just the idea that it was with all the boys of my own school... hmm, at the end I just took the private shower. :).

The next day, we woke up early to have breakfast. After that, we were divided into the groups that we had chosen before. Together with 4 other guys of my class, we would go boat fishing. Afterwards, we would go to Ryukyu Mura, the Steakhouse and the Pineapple Park (yes really, the pineapple park...). Every group had their own taxi! So we met our taxi driver for the day, discussed our plans and went to his car. His car turned out to be a normal car, for four persons. We were with six... So, three people in the backseat, and two people, including me, on the seat next to the driver. Shouganai, would we say in Japan, which means something like ''it can't be helped''.
So, we firstly went boat fishing, which was nice! We caught some fish on the sea, where we had a beautiful view. Also, the weather was warm and clear, so we were kind of lucky! When we were finished, we brought the caught fishes ashore. There, we cleaned and cut them, fresh sashimi!

After the boat fishing, we went to eat a hamburger in the Steakhouse. Also in Okinawan style by the way, really fancy. The funny thing was that the taxi driver came with us to eat a hamburger as well, haha. The shopkeeper made our food on a bake plate in front of us, which was entertaining to see. When we finished eating, we drove to the pineapple house, where my friends really wanted to go (even though I really don’t get why). It was something like... paying money... getting in a pineapple car... hearing stories about pineapples... got out after nearly 10 minutes... and finally went in a huge souvenir shop where you could buy more pineapple products than you could ever imagine. Pineapple cookies, shampoo, wine, crème, jam, bread, etc. Afterwards we went to something I really wanted to visit: Ryuukyu mura. However, we had very little time so unfortunately we couldn't enter it. We got back to our hotel. Then, we had dinner in our hotel. I was chosen to give the word to eat. However, as communication often goes in Japan, many people knew it except myself. When we entered the room, a teacher thanked me in advance for the 'word before eating'. I said thank you, as if I understood it. Then, before the dinner, we had a usual talk from one of the teachers. On the end I heard something with my name in it, and then everyone looked in my direction. My friends at the table said I had to stand up. Then a teacher came to me and actually I forget what happened next. I didn't really get it, but at the end I just had to say 'itadakimasu', or let's eat, through a microphone. :P

The next day, we had to pack our suitcases and bring them downstairs. Then, we could take some pictures with each other at the beach, and finally we went to the bus to go to a big aquarium. I like aquariums... so it was nice, haha. Afterwards, we went to our busses again that brought us to the Okinawan Fruits Land, to have our last lunch in Okinawa. And we didn't even get fruits! Then, it was time to go back to the airport. Time to go back home!

I am glad to have been in Okinawa! I think the main point for me was, that I could learn a lot about Japan. And then I don't mean about the Okinawan history, which was all in Japanese, but about other things. For example that Japanese students care sooo much about their looks, even more in Okinawa where we didn't have to wear school uniforms. Also, about how the spirit of Japanese is in some way different from us in the west. I think we western people want to enjoy the moments, enjoy the sights, enjoy the time. But actually the Japanese are, in my opinion, more focused on making concrete memories. For example, if we would have 5 minutes at a beautiful spot, they would spend all of it to take pictures with their friends, to have another 'memory'. Maybe you don't really get the point, but this is what I noticed a lot during the short trip. Also, I always wondered why the school trip was so very very expensive, though it was only a short time. But after I went, I could link it to what I said earlier: it's about making memories. It's important that everything is kind of perfect, so you will always have this memory when you think back of high school. On that kind of moments, I always think on the saying that AFS likes to use a lot: ''It's not better, it's not worse, it's just different''. :-)

The day after I got home, I had to wake up a little early. I dressed up in suit, and I went to a Shinto ceremony near our home, together with otousan (my host father). It was a very small ceremony, but nice to experience anyway. Otousan eventually wanted to take me to a bigger shrine, quite far from home, but at the end we didn't go. At this ceremony were only around 15 people, all 65+, except for otousan and me. This day was probably the most important day of the year for Shinto's, to thank the gods for the harvest. We washed our hands and mouth, the usual ritual before entering a shrine. Then, we went in a little room. Two Shinto priests and their master did the rituals, while we sat in the very painful position (at least for me as a European). It was kind of a little performance, in which some interesting rituals were done. Although it was very interesting to see, my legs nearly screamed because they wanted to get in another position. When it was over, I honestly couldn't stand on my feet properly anymore, as I didn't feel anything, haha. We went outside, where it was time to drink sake. Of course I didn't drink the sake, but it would be rude to refuse it here. Otousan doesn't drink alcohol, so we both just accepted it, pretended like we drank it and put it back on the tray.

During and especially after the ceremony, I heard and saw a lot of jet fighters flying over. Then, I remembered that on the same day, the Gifu air base was giving demonstrations. They were celebrating their 60th jubilee, so they had some shows and displayed several jets and other materials. As it was only a 15 minutes train ride from the nearest station to my home, I went there to see some of it. Also impressive. The special thing about it is of course that it is in Japan. In the Netherlands, I also liked to go to army demonstration days, but here it just at least feels slightly different. Yet, very nice. For example a few air jets took off, and came back after a few minutes, flying in the shape of 60. Beautiful!

Also, there was something that really surprised me. When I just arrived there, I saw a visitor walking in an army uniform with the Dutch flag on it! That was only the beginning, because afterwards I saw several visitors walking in army uniforms with the German flag on it. And the most remarkable thing was probably that I saw two visitors walking, one in German uniform, and the other one in American uniform. I really don't know the reason behind it, but all I can say is that it gave an image to think about. Also when I went to one of the souvenir stands, I noticed some pins with signs of communism. Maybe it isn't even that bad, but it just feels a little weird because those things would be very illegal in the Netherlands, I suppose.

The weekend after this event, there was an AFS activity planned. Although, as it often goes, everyone knew it except me, haha. AFS in Japan should really work on their communication! I hear everyone talking about it too. Kind of annoying, if I hear a day before the event itself that I should have bought a white T-shirt made from 100% cotton. Anyway, luckily I had one! The event was 'indigo dyeing'. It's a kind of Japanese style dyeing. The paint is organic, and made from dried leaves. We met at a station nearby, and went to the place by car. The place was a temple! Very very beautiful, and of course very Japanese! We first had a short tour through the temple, and then went to the part where we would have our workshop. We had to made patterns in our white T-shirt, and tie them tightly, so the paint wouldn't get there. It took quite a long time. When we were finished,
we ate our self-brought lunch and started the paining itself. Actually it was just a matter of dipping the shirt in a bowl with the paint for a minute, then making sure every place gets enough air (because otherwise the blue would become green), and repeating that process a few times. Then, we let it dry, washed it a lot of times with water, and tadaaaaa, finished! It's kind of beautiful, although I have no idea what to do with it, haha. Anyway, I had a very nice time that day! :)

I also got to experience my first earthquake by the way! I don't really remember when it took place exactly, so I will just paste it in the middle of this post, haha! It was nothing big, but it was the first one I had ever felt. I was in my bed, ready to sleep, but still talking with some friends via my phone, and then I heard and felt the ground shaking. It was a very new feeling for me, so I didn't really know what it was at first. I just heard some things in my room making a little noise, and then realized I could feel it myself too. When it was over, about 3 seconds later, I realized it was an earthquake, haha! My friend texted me that it was around 3.0, but still... it was an earthquake, haha!

The next event that was coming up was an international party at a different high school. The school of two other AFS'ers in the Nagoya area has an 'interacting club'. So, they organized an international party to attract some foreign students to talk with. I thought it would be a good chance for me to see another high school, but I didn't expect it to be so much fun! It was really nice. First, we had to give a presentation about our home countries, in English or Japanese. The days before, I made a very nice PowerPoint, but I didn't have a USB-stick. So, I put the file on my camera, and took the USB cable with me. But guess what... the computer there couldn't connect with my camera... autch! So I just told some things by heart, haha. Fortunately, the party was two days, so the next day I could take revenge and present the PowerPoint I had spent some hours on anyway. :)

After the presentation, we did calligraphy (on the first day), had a tea ceremony & painted a fan (on the second day). When it was finished, we had some sweets and drinks, and did a gesture game, which was also really fun. In these two days, I really gained a lot of motivation to study and speak more Japanese. It was really fun to talk with the students, and also I was glad finally to be able to talk with some other exchange students again. After the first day, we even went to take some purikura's nearby (you'll find one below). I actually took them during my two weeks in Hirado two years ago, but this was my first time during my current exchange. When the party was over, we of course exchanged Line's and are still talking with each other so now and then. Very glad that I went there! :)

Another unique thing. Maybe you have never heard of 'Gimmeaflakeman', but he is an American who lives in Japan and makes videos about Japan. He is one of the few so called J-vloggers that is popular among exchange students in Japan, and among people who just have a link between the east and the west. He makes videos about various things, from how to have a haircut in Japan to how the Japanese high school rules work, and from Nagoya in snow to the train system. Anyway, when I was on my way back from the international party, I saw him in the train near Nagoya! I turned around, then turned back and thought ''is that really...'', and turned around again. Then he said ''you really got the coolest school uniform huh?''. I was surprised and so we got into a talk, and we even exchanged numbers. I knew he once did a really long video in which he talked with AFS'ers, so I told him I was one too, haha. The day after, an AFS'er sent me a screenshot of a picture that Gimmeaflakeman posted on his Instagram/Twitter. Evidence below :)

Then... Hiroshima! One of the cities where an atomic bomb caused so many pain for so many people. A bomb that has destroyed many people's life, destroyed houses, buildings, and brought many sorrow, grief and darkness. A very important city in the last part of the Second World War, a highlight in every history book. Also a city that's famous for its delicious 'okonomiyaki' and 'momiji manju'. And we went there! It was a trip of our AFS chapter, so we went with 3 students (Germany, Spain, the Netherlands), and a local volunteer. Of course, I had to write a report about this trip for the AFS newspaper. Until now, I have written all those reports in Japanese, but as I am really busy, I did this one in English. So, I will put the main part in the next three paragraphs. :)

-----------------
On the early morning of Saturday the 20th, I went with 300 cranes in a bag to Nagoya station, where we would gather before getting on the train. It was my second time to take the Shinkansen. It’s really fast and silent. Also it looks a little bit like an airplane, with its aerodynamic shape and square, small windows. When we arrived at Hiroshima, we had a quick change to another train, followed by a ferry to Miyajima. From the boat we could see the wonderful and famous Itsukushima shrine, which I had always wanted to see. It looked fabulous. When the boat arrived, we walked to a restaurant nearby to have lunch. I ate fried oysters, something typical for Hiroshima. While walking over the island, we noticed a lot of reindeers walking around freely, which gave a very natural touch to the island. Along the way, we also saw some shopkeepers desperately trying to get a reindeer out of their shop by spraying some water on it (^^). After we went closer to the shrine and took a lot of pictures, we got to ride in something that looks like an old-fashioned carriage, pulled forward by someone in a matching uniform who knows all about the island. In that, special, way, we got to know where we should go to eat the most delicious Momiji Manju, a kind of manju that is famous for Hiroshima. After having one, we did some souvenir-shopping and went back to the station, where we picked up the cranes we had put in a locker that morning. From the station, we took a taxi to our hotel. The hotel was on a perfect location! After eating some Hiroshima-style Okonomiyaki, we could walk along the many illuminations. Very wonderful. When we got back to the hotel, it was time to take a bath followed by a good sleep.

The next day, we had breakfast. This was a very delicious self-service breakfast, consisting of both Japanese and Western foods. From the table, we could see the atomic bomb dome and the peace park, which we would visit later that day. After breakfast, we cleaned our room and went to the hall of the hotel, where we met an American woman who has been living in Japan for many years. She had also been an high school exchange student when she had our age. She knew a lot about Hiroshima and the history of the atomic bomb. Firstly, we went to the museum about the bomb. The only word I can find to describe the exhibition is ‘impressive’. The many stories, pictures, videos, and clothes of victims gave a clear but sad image of the horrors that the bomb brought along. Afterwards, we went to the peace park, to hang our
せんばつる near the statue of ‘Sadako’, a girl who had been a victim of the bomb. Her story is very famous. After the bomb, she seemed still healthy. However, years later, she got to know she would die as a result of the bomb. Someone told her that if you make one thousand cranes, your wish would come true. So, she desperately started to fold lots of them, even though her hands became weaker and weaker. At the end, she died, but her story lived on. Because of that, lots of people bring せんばつる to her monument in the peace park.
Later, we got to speak with an old lady, whose mother had been a victim of the bomb too. She told the story of her mother to the people who would walk by. Also, very impressive.

After our visit, it was lunch time. Our American guide had a good idea: let’s go to Okonomi-Mura: a building with only okonomiyaki restaurants! We enjoyed another okonomiyaki, and talked a lot with the American woman. Afterwards, it was time to get the bus which would take us to the station again. In the Shinkansen, everyone was tired, so we slept or relaxed a little. Our group disbanded at the same place where we met: the silver clock at Nagoya station.

------------------        

Two days after the trip, it was time for the AFS Nagoya winter party! I looked forward to this quite a lot, because (almost) all AFS'ers who live near Nagoya would join. This last month, I noticed that I really want to do and talk more with other exchange students. So, here a lot would come! Mostly from the March program, and fortunately I already knew some of them. The party was organized by AFS voluteers, who are university students now. Besides foreign students in Japan, also a lot of Japanese students came who will go on exchange next year (my host sister for example). Also there were some host families, so everyone had someone to talk with! I also met some people again who I had seen for the first and last time during our orientation camp in Tokyo. Also, a girl from the Dutch part of Belgium came to the party. She is one of the few (6?) AFS'ers in Japan who speaks Dutch. The funny thing was, that we actually talked in English, even when we were talking one on one, haha! It was actually funny: two Dutch speaking students, talking in English about how they forgot their Dutch (^^). I believe it was the first time in the 4 months that I have been in Japan that I could talk with someone in Dutch (although we didn't really talk in Dutch :p). The party was nice by the way. Just some activities and above all a lot of delicious food, that everyone had brought. Afterwards, a group went to Sakae by subway to have dinner. Some, including me, went to a pizza restaurant, and others went to a different restaurant. After eating, we went to the other restaurant and talked some. After that, we went to see some illuminations, and went home afterwards. Also on this day, I met many nice people, and of course also exchanged Line's, haha! With the two of them I have been talking with the most, I made mochi and hang out today! But that's a topic for later, haha.

By the way, I also have 'vacation' now! The reason why I put the word vacation between apostrophes is basically because vacation in Japan, is... not really vacation. My vacation started on the day that I went to Hiroshima (20th). The day before, at school, we had a closing ceremony. However, until now I just had to go to club every day. Also, there are still lessons at school on a daily basis. Everyone who 'wants' can go there, but it is not 'required'. Of course it might be some kind of social requirement to go, but I think only about 60% really goes. I don't have to go, but still I go to club every day. Even on Christmas! Christmas... another story apart. This year on Christmas, I got up, did some homework, went to club, got home (home alone), ate dinner and went to bed... Between those activities I felt kind of lonely in some way. I know that I'm in Japan, which is not a Christian country, but I just love Christmas a lot, and in the Netherlands it's celebrated really big, so... yeah, I kind of missed it! Please don't confuse it with being homesick, because I still haven't been homesick while in Japan! :)

Christmas DOES exist in Japan by the way. In some places, there are wonderful illuminations. I think this event in Japan is kind of specially for couples. Couples (generally) buy a meaningful present for each other, and go to see the wonderful illuminations. As for families, it really depends. Christian families go to church and buy presents for each other, non-Christian families may just buy some presents or do nothing. My family had a small Christmas tree in the hall, but furthermore it was just a day like all others. However, I listened to a lot of Christmas songs, haha.

The thing that has been a little Christmas-like, was the last 'Ibunka Rikai' (cross-cultural understanding) lesson of the year. Two weeks before that lesson, our teacher asked me and two friends if we wanted to play two Christmas songs, as a band. He wanted to make a Christmas lesson, and he would bring his guitars, amp, microphones etcetera to school. Of course we wanted to join! So we practiced a few times after school, and on a morning before the lessons. My classmate and the teacher sang, and my other classmate and I played guitar (acoustic and electric). Our teacher even played harmonica for a little while! When we played these two songs ('Do they know it's Christmas' and 'Christmas eve'), the class liked it, and we enjoyed performing. There are no pictures or videos, as smartphones aren't allowed, but in every case it was a nice thing to do ^_^.


Everything still goes fine in Japan! It got really, really cold. We even had snow two weeks before it fell in the Netherlands! And in Japan, people don't have a central heater. As Japanese are very energy efficient, they just wear a lot of clothes instead of turning on a heater. As a result, when I wake up, I am so cold! I already had a hard time waking up every day, but now it is even harder to get out of bed! When you wake up and breath, you can see the white vapor coming out of your mouth. Not only in the bedroom but also in the hall and bathroom for instance. We do have air-conditioning, which can also produce warmth, but we don't use it that often. But even if we do, we can put it only on 16 degrees, because otherwise it would be too expensive (energy is expensive in Japan). So, I also had to buy a whole bunch of clothes. Also a scarf and gloves, but... the dog ate my glove yesterday... autch. Another autch was, when I went to school on the day of the snow. Everything went fine, but just as I cycled over the place where I wanted to put my bike, I fell. It was so slippery! And when I
got up, I saw someone else falling as well. On the same day, or a day later, I went on my bike to a shop to buy something. On the way, an old man was cycling in front of me. Just as I cycled towards him, he slipped out with his bike and fell. I immediately dropped my bike and ran to the man. I asked him if he was fine, and helped his bike and himself to stand again. He said he had pain, but he could go further. I asked him to be careful, and the man thanked me. For me, this was a very special moment. I could help someone in trouble in Japan, in Japanese. :-)

Last Friday was the last day that I had club. From now, we will really have holidays for a week. Yesterday I wrote new year’s cards for the first time in my life. They are called 'nengajou'. In Japan, people don't send Christmas cards, but they send those new year's cards. I sent some to my friends from my previous, short-term, exchange in Japan. I usually send them Christmas cards, but this was a nice opportunity to send 'nengajou' for the first time. New year is a big thing in Japan. Also I heard there are several new year's festivals through January, so I hope I can join one.

A funny fact by the way, is that I wanted to go to get a haircut again, as it is really needed, haha. So, my host mother called the barber, but they turned out not to have any free moment between now and new year... When I asked why, they told me that in Japan, everyone wants to have a haircut at the end of the year. It's kind of comparable with the big end of year clean up I guess.


Today, as I already mentioned somewhere in this post, I went to make mochi with an exchange student from Italy and three Japanese students who will go to the US and Canada next year. In the Netherlands, I often watched videos about how mochi is made, and it looked fantastic. So today I got to try it myself! It's kind of heavy, haha, but so much fun! You should take a look at youtube too by the way. They put the mochi-rice in a big bowl, and hit it a lot of times with a big, heavy, wooden hammer. While the one who is slamming lifts the hammer, another person moves the rice a little, so every place will be hit. When it was finished, we went to make the mochi itself, with kinako (roasted soy bean flour), anko (sweet red beans), nori (seaweed) & daikon (Japanese radish). It was soooo delicious! And while we were making and eating it, we were talking a lot while sitting at the kotatsu (low table with heater under it). Perfect! The house was next to a temple, so we also got to see some really beautiful things :). I love Japan! We also talked mainly in Japanese, so it was a good excercise (however, it makes you really tired, haha). Realy, it was very nice!


I will tell you what's the plan for the coming time. From tomorrow I will be going to Himeji together with my host sister. My host mother comes from Himeji, and we are going there to celebrate (?) the new year. My host mother doesn't go yet, and my host father just has to work, so I will go with my sister. We will stay at our grandparent's house, where my host brother also lives (he attends university in Himeji). On the first of January, my host parents will come too. My host father will leave again at the same day, and my host mother will leave together with us on the day after. Their house is about 30 minutes from a big castle, so I hope I can go there too! :). Oh, and it takes about 4.5 hours by train to get to Himeji from here. By Shinkansen it would be way faster, but also way more expensive. Later that week, I will eat sushi with some Nagoya area AFS'ers, and then it's time for school to start again. I also still have a bunch of homework to finish. On the 5th, we will only have club, but after I will go to a shopping mall with a friend to replace our badminton rackets' string. And the day after we will have an opening ceremony, followed by tests. Then, school will continue its usual schedule
again.

So, this was my update! I hope you liked to read this one, and of course I hope you were all able to read it, haha! It's just an experiment to put it all in English, so I am curious to the reactions. By the way, I just wanted to say it is not true that I go to special places or big events every day, haha! At this blog, I of course only write about the fun and special things, the things that are different from the daily routine. That doesn't take away that there are some days in which I feel a little lonely, or bored or anything. Of course the long school days and club practices just continue, but exchange life is really lonely sometimes.

Lastly, I decided to start with replying everyone's comment on my blogposts from now on! So please just leave a comment, and I will reply on it. Kan natuurlijk gewoon in het Nederlands hoor :)
Yet, please note that I am going to Himeji in a few hours (it's near 2 a.m. now), and that I won't have internet until the 4th of Januari).

As usual I will past some pictures below this post. However, I got so many pictures! I made a selection of about 110 which I will post on my FB in a new album, so please take a look! The quality is also better. The ones I post here, due to the limited space, are just to give you an impression. :)

I thank everyone for reading my blog, and I wish you a great new year. May all your dreams and wishes come true!

Rick.



PS: if anyone knows someone who can stop the time... please give me their phone number. I'VE BEEN HERE FOR 4 MONTHS ALREADY, TIME GOES TOO FAST !! :(


                                                           Okinawa school trip



                                             

                                                 Indigo dyeing


The entrance of the place where the Shinto ceremony took place
 


Gifu air base  (second picture = 60, third picture is German uniform)
 

                                The international party at another high school



A screenshot of Gimmeaflakeman's Instagram after meeting him




AFS trip to Hiroshima
                              
                                                     














                                                             AFS Nagoya (after) party


Today's mochi making









2 opmerkingen:

  1. Rick,
    あなたとあなたの友人のために幸せな新年
    De allerbeste wensen voor 2015. Wat is dit weer een prachtig verhaal. Een vertaling had ik al snel naar je grootouders gestuurd zodat die ook konden meegenieten van je belevenissen. Maak je maar geen zorgen wat betreft je Nederlands: mocht je je vervelen (ik denk het niet) lees dan even op www.makethatthecatwise.nl en hun facebook.
    En dan je verhaal over Mochi leren koken door Youtube filmpjes te bekijken! Als je vrienden niet ziek werden dan moet je wel een goede kok zijn, want blijkbaar kan Mochi eten ook slecht uitpakken: (lees even hier: http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/01/03/mochi-the-silent-new-year-killer-leaves-nine-dead-and-128-hospitalized/
    In Hiroshima heb je mogelijk ook opgemerkt dat de Japanse geschiedschrijvers (heel begrijpelijk) een iets ander verhaal hebben gemaakt dan dat bij ons in de geschiedenisboekjes staat. Ben je in Miyajima ook nog met de kabelbaan omhoog geweest?
    We zijn benieuwd naar je volgende verhaal en of je het Himeji Castle nog hebt kunnen bezoeken. Het is zeker een aanrader.
    Groetjes van ons, we kijken al uit naar je volgende verhaal. Voor je vrienden hierbij ook een korte versie in het Engels.
    -------------------------
    Rick, we wish you a Happy New Year. This is another great (and very long) story. Meanwhile I have sent a translation to your grandparents so they could enjoy about all your adventures too. I think it is amazing you have learned cooking Mochi that well by watching Youtube movies because recently quite a few people got ill by eating Mochi. Please read the blogpost at rocketnews.com.
    I hope you could visit the famous Himeji Caste as it is worthwhile. We enjoyed it very much.
    For now, we look forward to your next post.

    Groetjes, cheers,
    Henk en Liesbeth

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Dag ome Henk (en Liesbeth natuurlijk),

      Bedankt voor de reactie, en natuurlijk al helemaal bedankt voor het vertalen van mijn hele update. Dat zal wel een hoop tijd hebben gekost, want erg kort heb ik het, zoals gewoonlijk, niet gehouden! Wel blij natuurlijk, want dan kan iedereen het lezen. Het leuke is wel dat ik gelijk een hele diversiteit zie in de bezoekers van deze blog. Laatste week bezoekers gehad vanuit rond de tien landen. Zal ongetwijfeld ook wel te maken hebben met het feit dat deze blog in het Engels wat. Maar goed, dat ter zijde. Ik heb de 'makethatthecatwise' FB even geliked, moest er wel om lachen. En de mochi uit de link klinkt iets minder lekker dan die wij hebben gemaakt! Wel leuk om te maken trouwens :) Wat betreft Hiroshima, de reden van de bom werd meer als een 'aanleiding' beschreven dan als een 'geldige reden'. Verder vond ik wel dat ze het netjes gedaan hadden. Voor mijn volgende verhaal heb ik nog niet genoeg inhoud (en vooral tijd), maar in ieder geval ben ik wel in het kasteel geweest. Helaas is het 'hoofdgebouw' tot Maart gesloten wegens restauratie. Moet nog een keer terug dus :-)

      Groetjes en natuurlijk nog de beste wensen voor 2015!
      Rick.

      Verwijderen

Ik zou het heel leuk vinden als u een berichtje achterlaat. :-)